Friday 9 June 2023

Throg's Hobgoblin Despoilers

Here is the Regiment of Renown - Throg's Hobgoblin Despoilers

While painting the unit I started to think up a backstory for them (does anyone else do that while they paint?). I always found the champion, Grunmunter the Beast, quite unusual. I imagine that he had killed a sorcerer of Tzeentch and looted the armour and mask. This is slowly warping his body and mind, hence the nickname The Beast. Throg is either a scouting force sent out by the great Khan, or an outcast that has fled the lands of the Khan. At some point they turned mercenary, and although they originally rode wolves, their mounts have long since died (and been subsequently eaten). Their wolf skin cloaks are all that remains of their beloved wolf mounts.

You can read more about the original Throgg's Hobgoblin Despoilers here:





I went for an eastern or Mongol theme to their clothes and colours. For the mono-pose cloned troopers, I added some green stuff to their helmets and shields. On some I added fur around the rim of their helmets, or I added a plume of hair, or a spike. And on the shields I added some shield bosses or studs to make them look more like Mongol shields. The shirts are all a light grey linen colour, and the wolf cloaks have a little colour variation in them.

The banner I made the design in photoshop, then printed it on paper, and then I did some weathering afterwards. The Chinese characters 黒龍 say Black Dragon. It's not quite what the Mongol's would have had, its not like I'm not trying to be historically accurate, but the style is eastern and something different to the other banners I have in my collection.
















1 comment:

  1. Very nice looking regiment - the Oni masks and standard are superb!

    ReplyDelete