Monday 18 October 2021

The Mighty Ugezod's Death Commandos


This is the completed unit of The Mighty Ugezod's Death Commandos. Some Orc big 'uns thrown in to make it a proper sized unit. This is a unit of elite Orc characters in a classic fantasy style.




The original box art. I wanted the shield and banner to look like the one in the image above.



The original art by John Blanche. Note that the box art was actually flipped so that Ugezod was carrying his axe in his left hand. In the original he is right handed. Also note that the Orcs are not green skinned but yellow which I quite like. In fact in makes look like hobgoblins.







The back of the Box.

The back of the box has all the characters names. And the lower image from the compendium has their race and class. Gnar is a mutant goblin, although I read somewhere he is probably meant to be a Kobold, GW probably changed it for copyright reasons. 

The Mighty Ugezod

Here's the big man himself. Crook-backed and long arms a bit like a gorilla. I tried to make the shield look like the one from the box art. The photo's bleach out some details





Mormo Jabberbinder
Orc Shaman

Although the back of the box says Mormo is an Orc Shaman I think he looks more like a Hobgoblin. I quite like his ripped robes and the expression on his face as he points his staff at his victims. I had lost the top of his staff and replaced it with this skull thing I found in my bits box.


Guzrog Dogchild
Giant black Orc

The way he was carrying his shield made me think that he was sheltering from arrows. I had to find something suitably large, so he is carrying a coffin lid. He had lost his original axe so I found a replacement. In fact many of them had lost their original weapons, I probably  swapped them for boltguns in the distant past, which wasn't such a bad thing as they tended to be low in detail and bit small or rounded.




Shylob Carcassbreath
Hobgoblin Berzerker

Berzerker with a Z. I opted for yellowish skin tones for my Hobgoblins. Gave him cat like eyes and a small buckler like shield. I like the eastern influence of this model.



Kudra Stuntysmasher
Goblin Hero
Kudra is a bit big and hairy for a goblin so I use him as a Hobgoblin instead. I really like the dynamic posing.




Sileth Frothlip
Hobgoblin Warrior
 I think Sileth should be a berserker and Shylob should be the warrior, I wonder if they got these the wrong way round? Another enigmatic name! You can imagine a berserker to be frothing at the lips! Armed with a two-handed mace and not much more!



Ushtug the Gut
Pot  Belly Orc
There's something about old Ushtug that I really like. Orcs today look like they spend their lives in the gym, or worse, have inflatable cartoon muscles. So I like the idea of an Orc that's fat, clothed in smelly rotten furs, with an old leathery face. A face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.





Ushtug always reminded me of Bolg, an Orc Marauder that appeared in an old White Dwarf under an article for wfrp. Another great illustration by Paul Bonner- just how I imagine my Orcs!



Saggrob Spikesticker
Orc Standard Bearer

This Orc model was originally just an Orc champion. It felt like heresy to cut off his spear, but I wanted a great looking model to be in the front rank carrying the banner. He is wearing a skinned goblin on his head! The banner was inspired by Nico Realms' work. The skull is water colour as I couldn't blend acrylics the way I wanted to and they were coming out too shiny. The photo is bleaching it out.


The Orc commandos or Orc Big Uns. These models are so full of character and details like things they have looted, mismatched armour and weapons, and trophies.






1 comment:

  1. Brilliant looking unit, sir, that’s some nice asking too.

    ReplyDelete