Saturday 16 October 2021

Orctober-work in progress

 Bratt's Boar Boyz

Orcs were the first army I truly collected so they hold a special place in my heart. When I think of Orcs I think Paul Bonner's versions, maybe crossed with Tolkien's (from the books, not the movies so much).

Here are my work in progress Orc Boar Boyz:




One of my favourite Orc units was my boar boys. They used to strike fear in my opponents as they were so hard to kill. But the models were never that impressive. The marauder orc models I had at the time didn't seem to represent the weapons and armour I had paid points for. Few of them had spears and some didn't even have armour or even clothes!

I was inspired by one of the Regiments of the Renown called Bratt's Boar Boyz (back in WD 106). I always hoped GW or someone would bring out models like these. This is how I imagined Orc boar riders to be. This story really brings Orcs to life, places them in what feels like an actual society full of character, unlike the new crap they churn out which is more about how many times the author can fit Waaaaaghh in a paragraph. A unit of Orc ferocity, bristling with spears and barely controlled boar mounts. 


    

So here they are, work in progress. Twenty Orc Grunta's and Snorta's!

The majority have spears and the majority have armour of some sort.  The size of the boars varies, maybe one day I will acquire boars all the same size, preferably boars that look like they are charging!


Now I just need to add shields, an impressive banner, and finish painting them!




And Man Mangler the Orc mangonel catapult. Love the carved face on the front of this. Painted it orange to contrast with all the green skin and drab clothes. It looks a bit like a pumpkin, which may or may not be a bad thing. Added puddles using varnish.





Orc with flag

I'm not a fan of the newer Orc models, they are too cartoony with ridiculous muscles that look like inflated balloons. Plus their heads seem too stretched, like something that has melted in the sun. Prefer my Orcs to be bandy legged, crook-backed evil creatures.



This guy:


And a sad troll. I don't know why he is so sad looking!




1 comment: